Making it All Work at Rillito Park
GLHN was thrilled to be selected to improve one of Pima County’s most interesting parks. Founded in 1943, Rillito Park was originally built as a Quarter Horse racing venue and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Sometime later soccer fields were built on adjacent property along with restrooms and a small parking area. The County wanted to improve the existing facilities while adding new lighted soccer fields and reconfiguring access and parking.
GLHN’s civil department worked closely with McGann & Associates Landscape Architects and equestrian facility design specialists Wynn-Smith to design and implement the new park features. These included demolition and rebuilding of the stable complex, developing a consolidated horse race staging area, and building new restrooms.
Other work included hydrologic study and channelization of the racetrack wash, river park enhancements including three new soccer fields, and much improved access and parking. The renovated complex continues to host horse racing while also providing the community with much needed soccer fields and a new Marketplace venue for farmers markets and other social events.